Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Former VA Governor Looks to Fill Conservative Void in '08 Field

Former VA Gov. Jim Gilmore is considering a 2008 presidential run. Gilmore says that he is motivated by the lack of a true conservative candidate in the GOP field.

(AP) Citing what he said was the lack of a true conservative in the field of GOP White House prospects, Gilmore said Tuesday he will charter a federal committee in January that would allow him to assess his chances for the race himself.

"There is not a committed conservative in the field who can put together a national campaign. I am and I can. I have people on the ground right now in Iowa and in South Carolina," Gilmore, 57, said in a telephone interview from New York.

His comments were directed not only at others preparing for a GOP presidential run, including Sen. John McCain of Arizona, former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani and departing Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney. It's also yet another of his many slaps at lavish federal spending by the current Republican administration and Congress.

"I am not someone who has to evolve as a conservative. I don't have to evolve my position," he said.


Everyone that I talk to on the street expresses the need for a conservative in the race. The Sentry welcomes the entry of a true conservative. We now look forward to Newt's kick-off.

No comments: